August 23, 2007

Helping Those With Alzeimers

When my grandfather got Alzheimer's, I didn't know much about the disease. It was simple at first. He would not recognize me, confuse me with other family members, or just not remember what he was about to go off to do in the next room. From what I had heard on television, I suspected this might be Alzheimer's.

This was confirmed when the doctor informed us officially of his condition.

His condition got worse and worse. The most surreal hour spent in my life is when my grandfather had a conversation with me as if I was his son, my father. Watching this man who I used to play catch with deteriorate in this way, and eventually move on from this life to the next, has had a lasting impact on me.

Losing gramps to this strange and mysterious brain disease is why I fully and wholeheartedly support the Alzheimer's
Association
in its Memory Walk®

This event aims to raise awareness and funds to care and support for those afflicted with the devastating Alzheimer's illness. The funds will also contribute to research the disease in order to achieve its ultimate goal: to end Alzheimer's.

The fundraising depends on volunteers, young and old, to join the nationwide effort Memory Walk. Over six-hundred communities are hosting these walks which consist of a two to three mile walk held on a weekend morning in the fall.

You walk anyway, but by joining the Memory Walk effort, each step you take that day will serve humanity by helping eradicate Alzheimer's from the brains of this whold.

By teaming up with the Alzheimer's Association, you can walk with a purpose – and move us closer to a world without Alzheimer's. Together, we can MOVE a nation.

So, go out, sign up and become a team captain! It might be too late for gramps, but its not too late for everyone else. Who knows, the funds gathered from this research might save you or me some day.





Memory Walk






No comments:

Changing LINKS